AI Chatbots (and permissions confusion) on phpBB.com

Discuss the phpBB forum software here as well as anything that pertains to it.

Moderator: phpBB Experts

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Re: AI Chatbots (and permissions confusion) on phpBB.com

Post by GanstaZ »

By custom files you mean for example index?
I'm not very familiar with pages extension, but as much as i see.. it's a heavy extension that has many tasks.
Consumers want simplicity, that's why many like pages or site creation extension (forgot exact name).
But simplicity.. that many users want, is not always good as an end result. In other words.. it may affect loading speed & memory consumption.

If extensions are written by following MVC pattern.. Then it solves a lot of issues. Legacy style pages in most cases load faster, but it's not always true.
It depends on many things. phpBB doesn't follow MVC fully.. In other words.. it has view, it has controller, but model part is in the controller.
Nor there is no way to use CRUD controllers without overwriting a lot by extension authors.

Conclusion.. Everything depends on how well the code is written.. Spaghetti & over complicated code is an issue.
Usus est magister optimus!
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!
Verification: ✅ Elon Musk Style

Post by Dimetrodon »

Custom files like my homepage, which is home.php and loads Home_body.html in my styles directory, and gets loaded before index.php due to a change in my .htaccess file.

I like making these custom files since they're long lasting and don't break. The same code that works all the way to phpBB4-dev. Unlike Pages which requires the outdated version of symphony and would break on phpBB4 due to the update. Basically, harder for the end user, but it's far simpler code.

Sure Pages Extension is easier to work with as an end user. Just install it and create custom pages like one would do with posts, but I like the custom files route instead because it doesn't rely on specific versions of dependencies and is overall lighter on the system.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

I understand now what you meant by custom. I don't mind custom pages, but i prefer MVC pattern.
Custom pages aren't considered valid by phpbb coding standards for CDB, but if those are for personal use or to share with other custom coders, then all is good.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Honestly, I would have no interest in hosting things in the customization database. With a mile long queue, it's not something I want to deal with.

scooter

Post by scooter »

Anybody else having a problem with the composer link? :?:
SCOOTER
"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I preach to." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

scooter wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:53 pm Anybody else having a problem with the composer link? :?:
Yeah, they changed the directory layout of their site recently.

https://getcomposer.org/download/

Fred Rimbert
phpBB Expert
phpBB Expert
Github: https://github.com/ssl-origin
Verification: ✅ My name is...

Post by Fred Rimbert »

Dimetrodon wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:37 pm Darakhshan accusing members of the team (and possibly members of the community?) of being AI chat bots.

To be honest, I also would think a founder would have access to everything if I was new to phpBB (or just unfamiliar with phpBB3) as well. It's noteworthy because the post mentions phpBB2 being better in that regard.

Also, the team... well... keep repeating the same thing.
Hi
From what I've read of his postings on phpbb.com, it seems to me that Darakhshan has a hard time understanding the forums permissions model.
He also does not understand that it is quite simple to understand what is happening on a third-party forum when one has access to its URL (all things considered).
AI is a trap you shouldn't fall into.
:skull: Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.13
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Fred Rimbert wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:47 am Hi
From what I've read of his postings on phpbb.com, it seems to me that Darakhshan has a hard time understanding the forums permissions model.
He also does not understand that it is quite simple to understand what is happening on a third-party forum when one has access to its URL (all things considered).
AI is a trap you shouldn't fall into.
Hi,

Yes, I agree, as they are from the phpBB2 era which used a different model for permissions.

I thought he called members of phpBB.com "AIs" as an insult, but yeah, he does seem to have used chatGPT or something like it. :

But yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about such chatbots. I'm sure the incorrect answers they can give is mainly due to the technology being new, but I really do not like the idea of AI replacing people's jobs.
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

As much as i understand he is using free version of that AI.. In other words it is outdated.
Well.. AI is pretty smart if you ask right questions, but free version can't give you 100% correct answers, because it has limits.
In other words.. that member is playing with custom code that can not be supported by phpBB support.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

I forgot that he had the AI write him some code too.

Yeah, I don't see that going well, and knowing him, he won't be able to easily revert any changes he has made if they prove problematic.