General discussion about phpbb

Discuss the phpBB forum software here as well as anything that pertains to it.

Moderator: phpBB Experts

scooter

Re: General discussion about phpbb

Post by scooter »

Right now, after quite a bit of content drift, I'm leveraging phpBB as a sort of social media platform. It isn't ideal for that purpose, but that's sort of where I've ended up. I may switch to something else if I can find a decent platform.

Definitely agreed about the permissions system...needlessly complicated.
SCOOTER
"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I preach to." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!
Verification: ✅ Elon Musk Style

Post by Dimetrodon »

Do you guys find never permissions hard to keep track of as well? I think I have been there myself, especially when setting up the NRUs group.

scooter

Post by scooter »

Dimetrodon wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:54 pm Do you guys find never permissions hard to keep track of as well? I think I have been there myself, especially when setting up the NRUs group.
Yes, very. The overlaps are extremely hard to keep track of.
SCOOTER
"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I preach to." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

I don't bother much with permissions system as most can be achieved with default/vanilla permissions.
Usus est magister optimus!
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

GanstaZ wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:27 pm I don't bother much with permissions system as most can be achieved with default/vanilla permissions.
Agreed, and most permissions can be set via a dropdown (ie. Standard access plus polls).

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Just curious, what do you guys think of restricting the editing of posts whilst they're being edited by a moderator: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p15938286

Is it worthwhile or a pointless change? I think it is a cool proposal to prevent moderator collision, though I cannot call it essential.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Well.. it is a little improvement i guess, but it wont be implemented in 3.3 branch.
In other words.. they all have to wait for phpbb 4.
Maybe devs will change something about versioning & decide to release current master branch sooner, then it may happen sooner as well.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Do people who remove the footer copyright deserve phpBB support? https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2637676

Despite my criticisms of phpBB Limited, I don't support people who I seen has removed the footer. Though like anything else on phpBB.com, site policy on this regard is inconsistent.

Though I can understand why someone wouldn't really care about it when offering support.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Well.. there are 2 sides to this issue.. One if we look at it from normal support angle and another if we look at it from developer angle.
Nor support nor users who want to remove or have already done it.. see it inna bigger picture.
It is true.. that phpbb can be modified by anyone and as David already said.. it is open source & license doesn't restrict it.

What people don't see or understand is (it is connected to custom coding & auto/advanced update as well) that whenever something is changed in the core that differs from vanilla system & wont be merged into vanilla.. can't be supported officially as already mentioned it differs from authentic system.
And that is the biggest key that both parties ignore or don't see/understand. As soon as someone makes custom edits, he or she becomes responsible for supporting the product.
I didn't mention my words above to coalman when i had a huge debate with him about auto update, but yeah.. It's all about responsibility.

As much as i have seen.. no company will support you, if you change the core with hell knows what, but they may offer factory reset, but even that doesn't guarantee full fix.
Last edited by GanstaZ on Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

I have reversed most of my custom edits here, but a small amount of custom code remains. Maybe I should remove the footer copyright. :P :twisted:

I'm kidding with the bolded part. I see no reason to remove copyright and I'm not that bothered by a potential lack of support.