Area51 phpBB Forum

Discuss the phpBB forum software here as well as anything that pertains to it.

Moderator: phpBB Experts

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Area51 phpBB Forum

Post by GanstaZ »

Many developers take phpBB as dead or almost dead project.. We can thank phpBB team for that.
People still develop extensions, but not many share those for free (we can thank people who take everything for granted).
It's not only about outdated symfony components.. Style should be updated as well.
Even with updated components.. i don't think i would share anything on that site (they have lost reputation).
Usus est magister optimus!
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!
Verification: ✅ Elon Musk Style

Post by Dimetrodon »

I’m all for devs having their own distribution sites. I don’t see why the team needs to validate ext or host them.

And if devs want to charge money, I’m all for that too. Everyone needs an income to pay their bills.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

It's not an issue at all.. At the end.. it's all about responsibility.
Some team members just trying to boost some pointless value & sound like they are very important.

I support open source projects, but not everything should be made for everyone (specially for free).
It's all thanks to arrogance & as i said in my previous post, many take everything for granted & start to demand.

Fred Rimbert
phpBB Expert
phpBB Expert
Github: https://github.com/ssl-origin
Verification: ✅ My name is...

Post by Fred Rimbert »

Dimetrodon wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:13 pm I’m all for devs having their own distribution sites. I don’t see why the team needs to validate ext or host them.
Regarding the validation by the phpBB team I find this a good thing, so that an extension does not pose a problem in the code of phpBB. By validating they become guarantors of the proper functioning of the forums using the extensions published by them.

The "Tapatalk" extension once contained many security vulnerabilities. I don't know where she is now.

Regarding the validation of extensions, the speed is not there.
Last edited by Fred Rimbert on Mon May 15, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:skull: Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.13
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

The biggest problem is that the team cannot validate efficiently, hence why extensions often spend a long time in the queue.

Not to mention that a group of devs can easily create their own validation process that is just as good if not better.

As for Tapatalk, I don't see a need for such an extension.

Just saw your edit about the team's speed and that issue is the biggest. What good is validation if updates and new extensions just get lost in the queue?
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Mon May 15, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fred Rimbert
phpBB Expert
phpBB Expert
Github: https://github.com/ssl-origin
Verification: ✅ My name is...

Post by Fred Rimbert »

Dimetrodon wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:59 pm As for Tapatalk, I don't see a need for such an extension.
Me neither, it was an example of an extension not validated by phpBB and rightly so.
Dimetrodon wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:59 pm Just saw your edit about the team's speed and that issue is the biggest. What good is validation if updates and new extensions just get lost in the queue?
This is the problem of too slow and inefficient validation.
Last edited by Fred Rimbert on Mon May 15, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:skull: Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.13
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Honestly, the best way (at this point) to avoid downloading extensions with security vulnerabilities would be to evaluate the trustworthiness of the developer and query into their reputation, and avoid those with a reputation of creating hatchet jobs.

And especially don't download extensions from someone you don't know anything about.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

When i was part of validation team i had a feeling that people tried to skip as many validation tasks as possible, specially if those were complicated or bad extensions. Only teamwork that i experienced in that team was between me, mrgoldy & kasimi + 3Di helped out as well.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Wow. Well, I'm not surprised if validation on phpBB.com is mainly just a bunch of people claiming to do tests as opposed to actually doing them.

It's sad that 3Di is banned. He should literally be in charge of the customizations team.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Well.. people think that newcomers should do all the work. Same feeling was in that team.

In short.. validation has 4 steps:
  1. Automatic pre-validation
  2. Testing
  3. Overview/Conclusion (code review, analyzing testing issues if any, recommendations)
  4. Verdict
As you can see.. point 3 can't be done completely by people who can only do testing.
That slows down validation process as well, because it requires other validators to join in as well.
In other words.. just testing is not enough for current validation process.

I support 3Di & what he said back then. Outcome of that truth was ban. As they say.. truth hurts.