General discussion about phpbb

Discuss the phpBB forum software here as well as anything that pertains to it.

Moderator: phpBB Experts

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Re: General discussion about phpbb

Post by GanstaZ »

If phpBB is missing an event or specific variable for available event, then you just create or add one.. I thought i already explained how it's done.

If people want to modify core files, then they can do it & you know it.
Most software organizations don't support custom coding or keep it at minimal.
Last edited by GanstaZ on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Usus est magister optimus!
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!
Verification: ✅ Elon Musk Style

Post by Dimetrodon »

You explained it well, thank you.

Just talking about the novices who want to do minor tweaks on their own boards, not full on devs. And as intern measures on older versions.

I think I used the wrong wording on my prior post. I'm not expressing any hostility to you, your positions, or your work.

I could have sworn that you opposed custom coding remaining open, though my memory is pretty faulty.
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Don't get me wrong.. I didn't mean anything bad.

I agree that there are cases when editing core file/s seems like a good idea, but now think for a moment. One edit is never enough.. Right?
More edits we make.. more problems we create. Advanced update wont be there forever.. It will be replaced by 1-click update if we ever see version 4.

Extension solves that issue.. Every admin who like to mess with code.. can spend some free time to read extension development docs & start one core extension for site. Now all previous core edits can be migrated into one system that solves update issues.

If people prefer to play with core.. then it's their choice & i'm not against it nor i don't disagree with it.
Last edited by GanstaZ on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Yeah, I wouldn't modify core files in phpBB4 (3.4). Agreed.

Even I think Advanced Update should not make it to 4.

Even my custom .php files (that I want independent of the Pages Ext.) will be removed and reworked to become my own personal extensions before then. Since I figured out how the controllers for front pages works. Plus, I can get them to show up when someone views them on Who is Online (thanks to the output from Skeleton Extension).
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Typo. Not Listeners, I meant Controllers.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Was reading some topics on com and noticed discussion about forums, FB and so on and on.
Is it really over for forums?

FB or Meta is not as popular as it was.
Software giant (social platforms) compared to unknown amount of forums.. What's wrong with that comparison that people love to make? Answer is simple.. It's comparison itself. There is no point to compare 2 totally different platforms.
To be honest.. comparing is waste of time anyway.. In other words, there is no real value in it.. Maybe only to explain something to someone by using comparison as an example.. so s/he could imagine the picture more easily.
I'll give one easy example. 1k different forums (phpbb or any other forum soft) about fishing vs 1k groups on FB about fishing.
Which is more user friendly?

I see new forum software projects coming to market + some older ones are doing fine/good.

Problem is not software itself, because software can be changed to do anything.
So what's the real issue? I would say "Living in the past".. Discussions will never die, but platform itself needs a change (modern is the keyword) + of course content is the king.

I try not to post on com very often.. so i posted my view here)
Last edited by GanstaZ on Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

My intention was never to say that forums were dead, but rather, with large social media companies that it is harder (not impossible, but harder) to get new members.

I don't think forums will ever truly die.

As for Facebook, I am in paralegal job training right now, and many of the networking groups I need to get involved with are on Facebook. Once such networks would have been independent sites or forums, but now, are still part of that disgusting company.

It might be less popular, but it still is a big player.
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

It's a lot easier to connect on Meta than starting a site project (less time & maybe money).. I agree with you.. It is hard to build something, but isn't that the best part? Achieving something feels good)

Meta is big.. that is true. Same goes for twitter, youtube & some others as well. Most people should ignore top league (if not thinking about competing) & do what they think is best.

When we look for example at WP (3rd type software for comparison.. blog system).. It is doing pretty good compared to phpbb.
And again.. we can't compare any of these 3 with each other. But one thing is for sure.. phpBB is still in 2010-2014.
Last edited by GanstaZ on Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

I like the idea of building something. Sadly, that sentiment is not universal and most people want to do whatever is easier. And that often involves giving money to social media corporations.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Yep.. that is true. But there are people who would invest money into different projects than social networks.
I guess it depends on many things.

If we look at it from vanilla phpBB side.. then there is no point to start a project & keeping it as vanilla.
Nowadays people want a lot of things (ranks, badges, achievements, games, reactions and so on and on) & of course visual appeal is very important.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

One thing I think would be a good improvement for phpBB4 (if it comes out) would be executing the commands of viewtopic.php, memberlist.php, viewforum.php though the controller app.php along with more human readable paths.

Similar to the human friendly urls extension I have installed but even more logical to human readers.

New paths like https://www.example.com/members/GanstaZ as opposed to https://www.example.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=85
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.