General discussion about phpbb

Discuss the phpBB forum software here as well as anything that pertains to it.

Moderator: phpBB Experts

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!
Verification: ✅ Elon Musk Style

Re: General discussion about phpbb

Post by Dimetrodon »

Someone who just doesn't want to take the time to update their boards from 3.0.x because they're satisfied with what they've got.

It shows their ignorance as well, as any solution given certainly would not work on their old setup. Which is why I found it funny. :lol:

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

They should seek support from refugee site.. just as those version 2 lovers do (if there are any).
Yeah.. code has changed & will change even more (hopefully).
Usus est magister optimus!
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

He is the owner of phpbb3refugees.

He doesn't have the knowledge to offer support so he just asks for help on his own site. Hoping one of his members will help him. :lol:
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be snarky. Rather, they certainly should update since they are the type that will need continued support.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Hehe).. I wish them luck.
With phpBB4 (if there will be one).. code will change so much, that people who wanna stay with anything lower than 4.. will have issues sooner or later.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

I am a lot less optimistic.

If I stopped updating now (not that I plan to stop updating), nothing would probably happen, since I don't expect much change. Not like there was between 3.0.x and now. Or even the same amount of difference as was between 3.0.x and 3.1.x

Just various bug fixes at this point.

Honestly, that is also part of why he should take the time to upgrade though. It's not like things will change that much from here on out.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

Just few examples: Main issue is fear to break everything. It's based on the info that i have seen.

phpBB4 will break most extensions. Specially the ones that are connected to forum/topic/pm and maybe some other components as well.
And all of that is without chameleon.. If that style ever comes out.. it would be like a layer 2 update requirement for extensions developers.
In short.. code will not stay the same, if project stays alive it will affect extension authors a lot.

Because of silence from phpBB team.. i do not see any point to invest into extensions that are not made for at least 3.4 or whatever major version will be next.
Statement above goes only for free extensions.
Last edited by GanstaZ on Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Yes, 4 will break most extensions. And that is probably what is keeping 4.0 in alpha and IMHO probably keep it indefinitely. Not saying I support that, but I think that even the team knows that most of the extensions that break, and many will not be fixed by their authors. Even the CDB has tons of extensions that haven't been updated in years but still work. With authors that have left or are only semi-active.

Push out 4.0 and practically all that would be lost.

Maybe we'll get a 3.4 branch with partial updates. But even I put that as a maybe. And only after putting it off for as long as possible.

I agree things should change drastically with phpBB4 or a 3.4 branch moving forward, but I think they will put it off for as long as possible for the reasons above.

I don't take Chameleon seriously, so I cannot view it as much of a development threat. Only a person wasting their time with crap.
Last edited by Dimetrodon on Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

GanstaZ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GanstaZ »

As i see it.. current 4.0.0-dev has a wrong version number.. it shouldn't be higher than 3.x, because it's nowhere close to 4.0 vision.
That fear of no changes or slow progress will keep extension developers at no progress mode.
AlfredoRamos said that there is no progress, nothing new to learn and so on some time ago.. and i totally agree with him.
We can thank the team for it. They keep ignoring important questions/topics.

Even if you can make money with extensions development for 3.2 or 3.3.. at some point, you will fall behind.. because you can't use a lot of futures that newer versions of symfony or what ever component offers.

I guess none of us take it seriously.. But let's be honest.. currently there is no alternative to chameleon.
Maybe that scaffold one by Mannix has a potential to drop prosilver, but i'm not sure about it.

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

We're going to disagree on this one, but in my humble opinion, the situation of not everything having an event kind of justifies the retention of MODifications in some circumstances.