phpBB 3.3.9 Release

Topics that have no current function but have been moved here as opposed to being deleted. Anyone can read topics here but the forum cannot be posted in.

Closed
Array
Posting Bot

phpBB 3.3.9 Release

Post by Posting Bot »

Greetings everyone,

We are pleased to announce the release of phpBB 3.3.9 “Bertie’s lunar flyby”. This version is a maintenance release of the 3.3.x branch which improves PHP 8.0 and 8.1 support and clarifies the message when using an unsupported PHP version. Multiple third party libraries like Guzzle and twig were also updated to include their latest bug and security fixes. Please note that the changes in twig might result in issues with loading template files and hence with loading pages of your forum (see viewtopic.php?t=2631681). Check if installed extensions are compatible before updating or disable them prior to the update to 3.3.9.

In addition to this, we have also resolved an issue that was preventing users from updating after having removed the default YouTube profile field. Furthermore, some issues with malformed emails due to special characters in usernames as well as differing behavior related to line endings in newer PHP versions were fixed.

Finally, more hardening was added in the form of ensuring that after a password reset through the “Forgot Password” functionality, all user sessions are also reset. This is now in line with the already existing behavior when changing one’s password.

The full list of changes is available in the changelog file within the docs folder contained in the release package. You can find the key highlights of this release below and a list of all issues fixed on our tracker at https://tracker.phpbb.com/issues/?filter=16194

The packages can be downloaded from our downloads page.

The development team thanks everyone who contributed code to this release: Christian Schnegelberger, Patrick Webster, Dark❶, ANDRI H.U

If you have any questions or comments, we'll be happy to address them in the discussion topic.

- The phpBB Team

Source: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2631536

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!
Verification: ✅ Elon Musk Style

Re: phpBB 3.3.9 Release

Post by Dimetrodon »

This site currently runs phpBB 3.3.9.

scooter

Post by scooter »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:44 pm This site currently runs phpBB 3.3.9.
Let me know how it's going. I'm sticking with 3.3.3 for right now...changing to it was a royal pain, and it was up for about a week before the next version came out. Looking over the notes, I don't see a lot that the team has done since that time, other than some minor bug fixes; the real reason to change would be a major change in functionality, such as push notifications to mobile devices, and I don't see that happening...pretty much ever. Someone would have to fork it, I believe.
SCOOTER
"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I preach to." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

scooter wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:19 pm Let me know how it's going. I'm sticking with 3.3.3 for right now...changing to it was a royal pain, and it was up for about a week before the next version came out.
It's fine so far, though phpbBB 3.3.9 can be an extension breaker. I had to make author recommended changes to ensure that the portal extension I installed did not break, and some other extensions also have a tendency to break. Most work though and many authors seem to have updated their extensions to fix the problem.

They updated twig and it is beneficial to extension authors familiar with it.

Sadly, while I do recommend updating every few versions, I see no sign of user friendly updates coming soon.

Fred Rimbert
phpBB Expert
phpBB Expert
Github: https://github.com/ssl-origin
Verification: ✅ My name is...

Post by Fred Rimbert »

Hi scooter
With each new version of phpBB there are bug fixes, the complete list of modifications is available in the changelog file of the /docs folder contained in the package of each version.
In general, when using the full package to upgrade, it is rare to encounter problems, or else you are unlucky. Just follow this tutorial on .com

Push notifications are still not on the agenda for phpBB, I don't know if it will ever happen. I believe there is an extension to solve this problem.
:skull: Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.13
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

Fred Rimbert wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:16 am In general, when using the full package to upgrade, it is rare to encounter problems, or else you are unlucky. Just follow this tutorial on .com
He understands how it works as he has done it before. He just doesn't find it very intuitive, and he is kind of right. It is somewhat of a pain to delete most files and folders to replace them with new versions, then update the database using the install directory.

Fred Rimbert
phpBB Expert
phpBB Expert
Github: https://github.com/ssl-origin
Verification: ✅ My name is...

Post by Fred Rimbert »

Not false but currently it's the only one of the four ways to update your forum without encountering an error.
Otherwise you have to wait for the release of phpBB 4.0.0 which provides an automatic update, personally I don't like these automatisms.
:skull: Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.13
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]

Dimetrodon
Not A Dinosaur!
Not A Dinosaur!

Post by Dimetrodon »

I'm kind of the odd one who uses the "automatic" update as I have some customizations to phpBB files that I prefer to keep.

Though I can see why it can be a pain if the server does not support writing directly to the files, requiring the downloading of custom files, then manually uploading them.

scooter

Post by scooter »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:08 pm I'm kind of the odd one who uses the "automatic" update as I have some customizations to phpBB files that I prefer to keep.

Though I can see why it can be a pain if the server does not support writing directly to the files, requiring the downloading of custom files, then manually uploading them.
Yes, exactly this. And again, I can and have performed the update without any significant issue - I just find it unnecessarily difficult.

I have a feeling that there is a better way to do so, and I would hope it would be implemented in 4.0.0...however I do admit that I don't know of a specific change which could make it easier.
SCOOTER
"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I preach to." - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Closed